Full Time Academic Director
Bridge believes every child has the right to high quality education and works in partnership with governments, communities, parents and teachers to deliver education to over 100,000 children in underserved communities across Africa and Asia.
Bridge leverages in-depth teacher training and support, advanced lesson plans and wireless technology to provide pupils with a meaningful and life-changing education. With plans to enroll ten million students ten years from now, Bridge offers a tremendous opportunity to grow with one of the world’s most exciting and ambitious social enterprises, with leadership roles available across a number of competencies and geographies.
We are seeking an Academic Director to oversee all aspects of the academic program in Nigeria. The Academic Director will be ultimately responsible for educational outcomes across Bridge International Academies in Nigeria.
Responsibilities of the Academic Director, Nigeria, include:
- Advocating for learning outcomes and serving as an in-country academic consultant for other departments
- Leading execution and interdepartmental coordination of the core academic program
- Providing feedback to the Curriculum team, in order to improve learning outcomes and culturally contextualize what is taught
- Representing Bridge with key national stakeholders, including the Ministry of Education and other government education officials
- Conducting necessary market and regulatory research to inform instructional systems and policies (timetable, teacher specialty configurations, retention policies, exam policy, placement policy)
- Managing the Academics team based in Nigeria: Curriculum, Field Work, Measurement and Evaluation (M&E), Instructional Leadership, Innovation
The Academic Director, Nigeria, will report to the Country Director and Global Academic Director.
What You Should Have:
The Academic Director, Nigeria must be a data-driven individual with experience developing and managing cultures of high performance and high expectations. You must be a great academic leader who understands exceptional instruction and can motivate and support others in realizing a vision of academic excellence. Ideal candidates have worked in organizations with a proven track record of generating large learning gains.
In addition, the Academic Director, Nigeria must:
- Be an effective, articulate communicator who can represent Bridge to external audiences
- Be a self-starter and problem-solver, who thinks three and four steps ahead.
- Be hard working and collaborative, with the tenacity to plow through challenges and an appreciation for teamwork toward achieving a shared vision.
- Be both detailed and results-oriented, driven by the data that will allow us to know what is working and what isn’t working for kids.
- Be humble, ready to “roll up your sleeves” to get things done
Education and Qualification:
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or related field, graduate degrees preferred
- 10 years’ experience working in education. 2 or more years of teaching experience with evidence of outsized student learning gains is an added advantage.
- Experience working in the education sector in Nigeria
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a startup or social enterprise.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any enterprise from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often challenging, low-resource communities and runs on fees averaging just $6 a month per pupil. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand. Every dollar you spend is a dollar our customers, who live on less than $2 a day, will have to pay for.
- A customer advocate – Our customers – these families living on less than $2 a day per person – never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). Every decision you make considers their customer benefit, experience, and value.
- A life-long learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
Application closing date: Not Specified