Graduate Trainee Driver, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
Job Title: Driver
Vacancy Notice No: 2018/VA/008
Locations: Calabar, Ikom, Obudu Cross River
Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
Duration of Contract: 6 months (with possible renewal)
Supervisor: Senior Administrative Assistant
Slot: Calabar (5), Ikom (3), Obudu (3)
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Driver position in the Office normally falls under direct supervision of the senior Administrative Assistant. The incumbent is responsible for up keep and maintenance of the assigned UNHCR vehicle(s) as per technical guidance and specifications established by the organisation.
- He/she is required to follow strict instructions and security guidance provided by the supervisor. While basic function of a Driver is to drive the official vehicles of UNHCR, he/she may be called upon to perform minor maintenance and repair of UNHCR vehicles.
- The incumbent has regular contacts with staff within UNHCR office and with service providers outside UNHCR involving a limited exchange of information.
The incumbent will have the following responsibilities:
- Drive UNHCR vehicles for the transport of authorized passengers and delivery and collection of mail, documents, UNHCR pouch and other items.
- Meet official personnel at the airport and facilitate immigration and customs formalities as required.
- Perform day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicles; check oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc. and ensure that the assigned UNHCR vehicles are road worthy and maintained up to the established security standards.
- Perform minor repairs and arrange for other repairs and ensure that the vehicle is kept clean.
- Ensure that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accident.
- Log official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, greasing, etc.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Essential Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of Primary Education or equivalent technical or commercial school.
- Minimum 2 years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
- Driving licence, knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
- Good knowledge of English and local language.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
- Mechanical skills.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications following the procedures outlined below:
Staff members who wish to be considered for this position should complete and attach a UN Personal History Form(P11) to their written application and send it via email ONLY to: [email protected] quoting in the subject line the vacancy number and title of the position.
External candidates should submit their application/letter of motivation, resume as well as fully completed and signed UN Personal History Form (P11) and send via email ONLY to: [email protected] quoting in the subject line the above vacancy notice number and title of the position.
- There is no need to send other certificates with the application at this stage.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Please ensure that you use the attached P11 form for your application
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged
Application Deadline: 31st January, 2018.
We cherish your opinion and we look forward to it. Hence, if you need us to feed you with more updated information at the right time about UNHCR Recruitment 2018, kindly provide us your phone number and email Address in the comment box below.