Full Time Human Resource Manager at Action Against Hunger
Action Against Hunger (or Action Contre La Faim (ACF) in French) is a global humanitarian organization which originated in France and is committed to ending world hunger. Action Against Hunger helps malnourished children and provides communities with access to safe water and sustainable solutions to hunger.
In 2014, Action Against Hunger worked in 49 different countries around the world with more than 6,000 employees and volunteers helping 13.6 million people in need.
Action Against Hunger works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
Action Against Hunger is recruiting for below position;
Job Title: Human Resource Manager
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
About the Program
- Action Against Hunger has been operational in Nigeria since 2010 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sector strategy where nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene activities are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience.
- With a central office in Abuja and 3 main field office across the North, Action Against Hunger runs intervention in 3 States of Northern Nigeria including two States affected by the on-going conflict.
- We have a country team of around 550 staff (45 international) and a budget for 2018 projected at 50 M US$. Our main donors and partners in Nigeria include USAID/OFDA&FFP, DFID, ECHO, EU EDF, AFD, UNICEF, SIDA, SDC and GAC.
You’ll contribute to ending world hunger by:
- Providing high quality HR support to staff and programs in Yobe State (actually managing a team of 200 staff), Nigeria and build the national HR team capacity.
Support to HR Staff & to build the HR National team Capacity:
- Train the new HR Manager (National) on the AAH policies & procedures and other key aspects of the job.
- Do some Capacity building of the whole HR Team (Base & sub base) on the existing policies and the work environment.
- Organize regular exchange with the HR team in Abuja to ensure synergy of HR practices.
- Organize regular meetings for staff at field level to update and inform on HR issues.
- Provide Support to the team wherever required.
To take lead on the HR recruitment ongoing at the base along with support of resourcing team:
- Closely follow the HR plan and update the HR recruitment tracker based on the information from HR plan and the Recruitment requests submitted by Project leads.
- Plan, organize the Interview (Oral & Written) with support of resourcing Officer & Assistant for positions of level 6 & above.
- Guide the resourcing team wherever required in the recruitment process.
- Closely follow-up on the recruitments in order to make sure that this is being done based on the AAH recruitment policy.
- Keep updating Operation Support Coordinator on the status of recruitments & any foreseen challenges & delays related to it.
Implementation and enforcement the HR policy (staff regulations):
- Assure that AAH staff policies and procedures in addition to the Labor Laws of Nigeria are adhered to at field level.
- Advise the Operations Support Coordinator and other managers on appropriate disciplinary action as situations arise.
- Ensure that AAH is compliant with all national HR regulations including coordination with relevant internal and external stakeholders to ensure the validity of all international staff visas.
- Implement staff regulations and related policies; proposing change when necessary, in order to ensure on-going compliance with national labor laws. Any adjustment of existing HR policies will require prior discussion with the Head of HR and the Operations Support Coordinator at country level, and ratification by the HQ HR Advisor.
- Ensure that AAH risk management policies, core values and charter are applied.
Implement pay and other benefits policies, and contracts management:
- Collect and check salaries data from the field before submitting to the Head of HR at country level for approval.
- Taking lead on sharing the communication to all staff on the change of HR grid with new titles and the revised salary calculation process. Ensuring all question asked on this are properly responded with support of HR Abuja team.
- Ensure that calculations of end of contracts benefits (FFS and PSB) are correctly done before approval by the Head of HR at country level to avoid potential labor disputes and/or legal cases.
- Follow up on annual leave planning and execution.
- Ensure each staff has a valid ID card.
- Implement the medical benefits policy: collect employee eligible dependent details and legal documents.
- Update the base specific contract calendar and ensure that timely renewals and notices are received by all staff.
Lead the implementation of AAH performance management system at field level:
- Follow up on job description revision staff.
- Compile completed appraisals, update the performance appraisal tracking sheet at field level as well as the annual training plan database, and submit them to the Head of HR at country level for analysis and action.
- Random checks on Performance appraisals done for the base staff and participating as well.
Reporting and Staff management:
- Compile monthly HR reports and submit a field HR sitrep to the Head of HR and the Operations Support Coordinator by a specific date every month.
- Prepare monthly and mid-month cash forecasts for HR related expenses.
- Responsible for preparing field briefing schedule for new staff arriving in the field.
- Update guesthouse accommodation roster and inform guesthouse staff of arrivals/departures.
- Prepare a detailed report on the situation of HR team level of understanding and any input for the year 2019 on HR Structure considering the needs and the performance of HR team.
Does this description fit you?
- Bachelor’s degree in HR Management, or Social Sciences, or related discipline preferred.
- Must be comfortable explaining complex technical & procedural requirements in straightforward language.
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite (high proficiency in Excel); comfortable working with computers with minimal IT support.
- Ability to work in a stressful environment, taking initiative & prioritizing multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Strong organizational skills, detail-oriented.
- Genuine interest in & commitment to the humanitarian principles of Action Against Hunger.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work both independently & as a member of a team.
- Fluent written & spoken English.
- Proven ability to model core HR values of confidentiality, fairness and discretion.
- Post Graduate qualification in Human Resource Manager will be an added asset.
- At least 2 years of experience as a HR manager/officer within a humanitarian field programme.
- Experience of Capacity Building, Trainings, ToT (Preffered).
- Experience of managing the HOMERE software system.
- Previous Action Against Hunger experience.
- At least 3- years of professional experience across all HR disciplines, including employment, benefits, compensation, employee relations, training and development, workers compensation and conflict resolution.
Our Core Values
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA-USA’s five core competencies:
- Excellence- we strive to provide services that meet, and even exceed, the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
- Empowerment- we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
- Respect- we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
- Integrity-: we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work; conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
- Creativity-we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
Application Closing Date: July 18, 2018