Contract MultiChoice Talent Factory (MTF) Film Skills Development Programme
At MultiChoice Africa, the African entertainment industry is at the core of who we are and what we do. This social investment programme shows our commitment – alongside long-term partnerships with government, stakeholders and creative organisations – to develop Africa’s creative industries into vibrant, economic centres. This is how MultiChoice uses the power of entertainment to enrich lives.
MultiChoice is inviting eligible applicants to apply for:
Title: MultiChoice Talent Factory (MTF) Film Skills Development Programme
Locations: Lagos, Federal Republic of Nigeria; Nairobi, Republic of Kenya and Lusaka, Republic of Zambia
Duration: 12 Months
About the Programme
In 2018, the company established the MultiChoice Talent Factory (MTF), a social investment initiative aimed at igniting Africa’s creative industries and growing them into vibrant, economic powerhouses. As a business born and bred in Africa, we have a long term commitment to making a socio-economic difference and creating shared value in the countries in which we operate.
As such, we launched the MultiChoice Talent Factory to positively impact the technical and professional value chain in the film and television industry across the continent. Established in partnership with stakeholders across the continent, MultiChoice Talent Factory aims at providing the creative industries with a platform to learn and develop their talent, engage and connect with each other through their shared passions across three touchpoints which include the MultiChoice Talent Factory Academy.
The MTF Academy is a tailored 12-month training programme facilitated at regional academies based in Kenya, Nigeria and Zambia, headed by industry experts as Academy Directors. Working hand-in-hand with local creative organisations, regulatory and government partners across the continent, MultiChoice uses its people, facilities and network to provide young emerging filmmakers with the skills, knowledge, experience and qualifications to help the MultiChoice Talent Factory graduates launch a successful career within the creative industry.
Through the MTF, MultiChoice Africa will cement its commitment to enriching lives by developing the art of inspired local storytelling and story making while simultaneously growing local content on our DStv and GOtv platforms and ultimately continue showcasing Africa’s rich cultural heritage and diversity across our local channels including SuperSport, M-Net, Africa Magic, Maisha Magic East, Maisha Magic Bongo and Zambezi Magic.
- MultiChoice is inviting eligible applicants to apply for the MultiChoice Talent Factory film skills development programme. The MultiChoice Talent Factory Academy offers eligible applicants who are passionate about telling their own stories a unique opportunity to improve their skills and ultimately contribute to the growth of the local and pan African film and broadcasting industries.
- The MTF Academy initiative will operate in Lagos, Federal Republic of Nigeria; Nairobi, Republic of Kenya and Lusaka, Republic of Zambia for 12 months, with a production break to be determined by MultiChoice at its sole discretion
In this document, the following terms shall have the definitions set out below:
- “Intellectual Property Rights” means any and all rights, title and interest in and to past and future copyright, patents, production rights, performance rights, rights in and to scripts, utility models, trademarks, trade names, service marks, designs, databases, graphics, icons, semi-conductor topography, know-how, trade secrets and inventions (whether patentable or not), goodwill and all other intellectual property as may exist anywhere in the world;
- “MTF Academy” means the MultiChoice Talent Factory skills development programme;
- “MultiChoice” or “us” means MultiChoice group of companies, including our partners, promoters and sponsors and any other person involved with the MultiChoice Talent Factory Academy;
- “Production” means “production” as the term is generally understood in the film and entertainment industry including, without limitation, scripting, cinematography, sound, editing, set design, directing and casting; and
- “Works” means any story outlines, treatments and scripts or other outputs produced during the course of each participant’s participation in the MTF Academy.
Unless specifically stated otherwise in writing by MultiChoice, the MTF Academy is not open to:
- Directors, members, partners, agents, employees or consultants of MultiChoice;
- The spouses, life partners, business partner or associate, or the natural or adopted parent, child, or sibling, of any of the persons specified above; and
- A permanent resident residing in any of the countries specified below.
To be eligible to participate in the MTF Academy, applicants must:
- Have a qualification from a registered and/or recognised post-secondary education institution as set out in clause 4.3.5 below; and/or
- Have experience in the film industry.
Applicants who hold a qualification must:
- Be over 18 years of age;
- Be citizens and residents of the countries from which they are selected by MultiChoice to participate in the MTF Academy initiative, namely Angola, Botswana, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe;
- Be fluent in English in terms of speaking, reading and writing;
- Demonstrate passion for the drama, film, television or related media and entertainment industry during selection interviews; and
- Have completed a relevant qualification from an accredited and/or recognised tertiary education institution in drama, film, television or a related media field, within the last 2 years. For the avoidance of doubt, the said qualification must be obtained only from a post-secondary education institution which has been accredited or recognised by a relevant registered institution.
Applicants with Relevant Experience
Applicants who have experience in the drama, film, television or related media and entertainment industry and who do not hold a qualification from an accredited and/or recognised tertiary institution will be considered for admission to the MTF Academy if they:
- Meet the requirements stipulated in the qualifications above;
- Have the highest secondary school qualification as recognised in the countries where they completed their secondary education;
- Not more than 2 years’ work experience in the drama, film, television or related media and entertainment fields;
- Are able to demonstrate knowledge and passion for the drama, film, television or related media and entertainment fields as indicated in the [Interpretation clause: “MultiChoice” or “us” means MultiChoice group of companies, including our partners, promoters and sponsors and any other person involved with the MultiChoice Talent Factory Academy; and
- Possess the foundational technical skills in the fundamentals of Production as determined by MultiChoice in its sole discretion.
Application Closing Date: 17h00 on July 5, 2018.