Graduate Trainee Senior Protection Assistant, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
Job Title: Senior Protection Assistant
Vacancy Notice No: 2018/VA/004
Location: Cross River
Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
Duration of Contract: 6 months (with possible renewal)
Supervisor: Protection Officer
Slot: Calabar (1), Ikom (2), Obudu (2)
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Senior Protection Assistant normally reports to the Associate Protection Officer or the Protection Officer.
- He/she monitors protection standards, operational procedures and practices in protection delivery in line with international standards and provides functional protection support to information management and programme staff.
The incumbent will have the following responsibilities:
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Provide counselling on protection issues to persons of concern; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other relevant documentation.
- Support activities in protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Conduct preliminary information gathering and interviews in support of eligibility, status determination, durable solutions and social needs assessment.
- Contribute to measures to identify, prevent and reduce statelessness.
- Contribute to a country-level child protection plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Contribute to a country-level education plan for persons of concern as part of the protection strategy.
- Monitor Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
- Participate in individual protection case management including cases of SGBV and child protection. Monitor and report on cases of refoulement, expulsion and other protection incidents.
- Assist in identifying durable solutions for persons of concern in voluntary repatriation, local integration and where appropriate, resettlement.
- Contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation of protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Assist in drafting reports, routine correspondence, updating relevant databases and compiling statistics for the protection unit / section.
- Contribute to initiatives to enhance national and local protection capacities.
- Any other responsibilities/functions deemed necessary or as delegated by the Head of the office and/or Supervisor in order to meet the level of the services in the organization.
Essential Minimum Qualifications
- Education: Completion of secondary school. Additional Training courses in protection related issues.
- Job experience: relevant to the function: 4 years.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Good computer skills.
- Completed Protection Learning Programme.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications following the procedures outlined below:
Staff members who wish to be considered for this position should complete and attach a UN Personal History Form(P11) to their written application and send it via email ONLY to: [email protected] quoting in the subject line the vacancy number and title of the position.
External candidates should submit their application/letter of motivation, resume as well as fully completed and signed UN Personal History Form (P11) and send via email ONLY to: [email protected] quoting in the subject line the above vacancy notice number and title of the position.
- There is no need to send other certificates with the application at this stage.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Please ensure that you use the attached P11 form for your application
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged
Application Deadline: 31st January, 2018.
We cherish your opinion and we look forward to it. Hence, if you need us to feed you with more updated information at the right time about UNHCR Recruitment 2018, kindly provide us your phone number and email Address in the comment box below.