Full Time Teacher
Bridge believes every child has the right to high quality education and works in partnership with governments, communities, parents and teachers to deliver education to over 100,000 children in underserved communities across Africa and Asia.
Bridge leverages in-depth teacher training and support, advanced lesson plans and wireless technology to provide pupils with a meaningful and life-changing education. With plans to enroll ten million students ten years from now, Bridge offers a tremendous opportunity to grow with one of the world’s most exciting and ambitious social enterprises, with leadership roles available across a number of competencies and geographies.
About the Role
Teachers are the foundation of every Bridge International Academy, committed to transforming the lives of pupils through high quality education. They are energetic, patient, dependable, and love helping children learn. They use teacher guides, accessed through Bridge’s proprietary Teacher Computers to deliver new lessons to pupils every day based on the national curriculum and world-class pedagogy techniques. They take full ownership of every one of their pupils’ questions, challenges, and successes in the classroom and provide every pupil with the targeted individual attention required to raise their performance.
Bridge teachers also stay in close communication with parents regarding their children’s development and are active representatives of Bridge within the community. Above all else, Bridge teachers are deeply invested in Bridge’s mission of putting 10 Million children on the path to success and are ready to work tirelessly to ensure that their academy transforms the lives of hundreds, if not thousands, of children in their community. A two-year commitment is required.
What you will do
- Instructional delivery – use our latest technology to deliver all Bridge content and lesson notes, which come fully prepared on a tablet
- Raise pupil achievement – be accountable for the learning needs of all pupils, and do what it takes to help them improve across all academic subjects plus co-curricular activities to encourage well-rounded development
- Parent relations – maintain positive relationships and close communication with parents on their child’s progression
- Community outreach – conduct various forms of customer outreach ranging from door-to-door canvassing to academy-hosted events in order to attract new pupils to Bridge
- Grow professionally – attend periodic re-trainings for professional development
- Academy collaboration – support other members of your team and Academy Manager, organise co-curricular activities to make Bridge a vibrant and healthy academy in your community
What you should have
- Passion, love and patience for children in their class
- Proven track record of professionalism, punctuality, discipline and compliance
- Strong English skills (speaking, reading, writing) and local language skills
- Open attitude to try new things and stamina for teaching a full class day, strength to persevere in challenging situations
- Strong ties to the community the academy is in; you have lived there for several years and can walk or bike to the academy
- Engages effectively with parents, and is prepared to speak with parents and engage w/ community outside of teacher timetable
- Thrives within structure and is open to prepared teacher guides; is able to follow detailed and multi-step instructions
- Shows potential for strong classroom management and will have pride in teaching a large class
- Prior teaching or mentoring experience not necessary but encouraged (we will train you)
- A desire to grow personally and professionally including the ability to learn quickly and follow the policies of a multinational organisation; internal promotions are encouraged
- Hobbies to share as co-curricular activities with the larger academy
- Degree holders preferred,
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a startup or social enterprise.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any enterprise from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often challenging, low-resource communities and runs on fees averaging just $6 a month per pupil. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand. Every dollar you spend is a dollar our customers, who live on less than $2 a day, will have to pay for.
- A customer advocate – Our customers – these families living on less than $2 a day per person – never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). Every decision you make considers their customer benefit, experience, and value.
- A life-long learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
Application closing date: Not Specified